Saturday, May 22, 2010

Vacation Part 3

Wow, where did I leave off? So much has happened since I last blogged and our vacation is almost over!

On Tuesday the weather turned out for the better with no rain and bright sunshine! We spent some time at the beach swimming in the ocean, looking for seashells and laying out in the sun. Then Andrew and I headed to downtown Charleston for a Harbor Tour. The boat took us all around the Charleston harbor and gave us lots of history about Charleston and the surrounding islands. I didn't realize there was so much that took place in Charleston, like Fort Sumter and even Pirate attacks. On the tour we also got to see some dolphi
ns! Of course, we both forgot to put on sunscreen so we left the boat completely fried. We then headed back to Market Street for dinner and dessert. We found a really cool coffee shop that had great desserts! It was called Kaminsky's (sp??) and it is literally Andrew's dream coffee shop. For those of you who don't know, my husband is starting his own coffee roasting business out of our home. He plans to roast coffee beans and sell them to help him get started in the coffee business. His future plan is to open up a coffee shop that will be a normal coffee shop during the day and a classy/upscale martini bar by night (using real espresso and coffee in the drinks). This is exactly what Kaminsky's was! He was super excited!

All in all it was a good day (except for one small incident)! I now have a fear of seagulls!! After returning to our hotel we thought we would go out to the beach to sit and read. As soon as we sat down this flock of seagulls flew overtop of us (I bet I can guess what you're thinking, but you are wrong) no, they did not poo on us, instead they charged down and started chasing me around the beach! Andrew was viciously swinging his book around to try and get them away and as I started running, they of course followed! I serioulsy thought I was going to be attacked! I ran back to Andrew crying like a little girl and he got them away. It was both embarrassing and frightening. The rest of the week I spent my time avoiding them as much as possible! So here is your warning, STAY AWAY FROM SEAGULLS AT THE BEACH!


Wednesday Andrew and I headed to the Boone Family Plantation for a morning tour. I don't know much about the Boone Family but they had a really cool house and lots of beautiful land (guess that shows how much I payed attention during the tour!). My favorite part was the ride around the plantation where they showed us all the land (they even had alligators-eek!). What I did learn was that several movies had been filmed on the Plantation, such as "North and South" with Patrick Swayze, "Queen" and most recently "The Notebook." That day Andrew and I also discovered that the pier right outside of our hotel was where they filmed the opening scene of "Dear John" (I love Nicholas Sparks novels!). The rest of the day was spent on the beach (getting even more sunburnt)!

Thursday was our last full day at the Isle of Palms. We took advantage of the beach one more time and then headed to downtown Charleston again to explore Market Street some more. I would highly recommend visiting Charleston some time if you ever get a chance! It's very fun!


Yesterday (Friday) we headed back to Asheville. We spent the evening watching movies and relaxing at our friend's apartment. Today we went to the Biltmore Estate (the largest single family dwelling in the U.S.). We toured the house and all over the the estate. They even had wine tasting (which I unfortunately couldn't do being 17 weeks pregnant) but Andew did and we ended up buying 4 bottles of wine (my hope is to save some until after the pregnancy so I can try it)! Tomorrow we leave bright and early to head back to Iowa. It's been a really good vacation and it's gone SO FAST! I can't believe Monday I have to go back to the normal routine of work (and looking at the list of things I have to do right away on Monday it makes me wish I didn't work 3 jobs!). Something has to change for us once baby comes and let's just say I can't wait till that day comes!! I will be posting other pictures from our vacation soon!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you had a great time! i went to the biltmore a couple years ago and was blown away! seriously, amazing, right?

    i know how you feel about the wine-tasting. i have been either pregnant or nursing for the last 26 months...self-pity party. i hope for your sake that andrew saves you some for after the pregnancy! :)

    dr. jorgensen said he really enjoyed meeting you - and small world about andrew's cousin being his college roommate!

    ReplyDelete