Sunday, December 12, 2010

Going Gluten-Free

Andrew and I have been talking about going Gluten-Free. I've been suffering from lots of intestinal issues for the past 3-4 years (chronic gastritis, acid reflux, IBS) and it was suggested by a friend that I try going Gluten-Free for a while to see if it helps. This will also be good for Andrew's weight. So far it hasn't gone very well. The only thing I've been successful with is creating gluten free meals for us to eat, it's snacks that are the problem! We just love our goodies! I attempted to make some homemade gluten-free bread and it was an epic failure! It looked nasty and it was way too runny before I put it in the oven. It was also a little too spongy when it was done, so it's in the trash. My hope is to find a good bread recipe so we can still eat sandwhiches. Hopefully we can try and give up the chips, brownies, cookies, and other goodies (haha, what am I talking about? It's the Holidays!) or maybe instead I could try and make some gluten-free snacks for us.

In other news, I go back to work next week and since I work until 6 every night I am trying to come up with some quick, simple meals (that are gluten-free remember) that we can use for dinner. This week I experimented with my Crockpot and made some yummy Crockpot Enchilada Casserole. I also made my very first meatloaf! If you have any easy meals idea please pass them on!

5 comments:

  1. That crock pot is the BEST kitchen aid I have! I'm not a cooker, I'm a baker and my husband closes a lot now so cooking dinner has been on me. I use that crock pot for everything, enchiladas, tacos, roasting meat, soups etc. I like a lot of Mrs Bettie Rocker's recipes check her out mrsbettierocker.blogspot.com and I know I told you about Mother Earth News. I will check with Steven (he's vegan now) and see if he has suggestions for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about purchasing a bread machine? I absolutely love mine (given to me by my wonderful mother-in-law)! There is a gluten free setting on most which will knead the bread just right and you can set it and forget it!

    Here is a website I use for her recipes but she also has a gluten free section.
    http://lynnskitchenadventures.com/lra/category/gluten-free-recipes/

    ReplyDelete
  3. my friend marnie is allergic to gluten and she says that food for life brown rice bread is the best brand; otherwise, she said she has a brown rice bread recipe she thinks is really good (but she also warns that once you've been gluten-free for a while, 'good to you' is not necessarily 'good' so it may actually suck; i don't know, i've never tried it. she also has a whole cookbook of gluten-free crock pot recipes that she LOVES. i can get the title if you want.

    also, my friend laura didn't know she was allergic to gluten but had had digestive issues her whole life and that was what it was. a word of caution though - she said once she went entirely gluten-free, she absolutely could not cheat because it really messed her up.

    ...now that i've shared the life stories of two total strangers...sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate all of the comments! We haven't been doing so well sticking to gluten free this week since I've been back at work and when we get home we don't have the time to cook a good gluten free meal. Over the next few weeks I hope to work towards more gluten free meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. try this recipe for yummy cookies: 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 egg, and 1 tsp of baking soda. Mix together and add 1/2 bag of chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. They are sooo good!

    ReplyDelete