Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Life is too short...

Today my mother told me that a man from my home church had passed away suddenly. He collapsed when he was at work and died of unknown causes. He was really young and had two teenage boys. I didn't know him that well, but he always had a smile on his face, was sweet and generous, and he was a member of the youth committee when I was youth director there. I know that the Lord has a wonderful place prepared for us, but you can't help but think about the people that you love and imagine what life would be like if they suddenly disappeared. I held my baby boy in my arms and cried and gave my husband a hug and kiss with the thought in my mind that this could be the last time I see them. You never know when your life is meant to end. It really makes you think about how you are living this short life and how you need to focus on what really matters.

why was i so worried about having nice things?
or why didn't i treat this person better?
or why do i spend so much of my time watching tv or surfing the internet when i should be praising my God and giving him my time and energy?

It's hard to face the idea of death, but I have to keep reminding myself that I have an awesome God who has an amazing place for me for the rest of eternity. When I was a kid I used to be scared of the word "eternity." I just could not comprehend the idea that life in Heaven will never ever end! It will just keep going, and going, and going! Even now I just can't understand it. It will NEVER END! As humans we are so used to things on earth having a final ending, but God is eternal. It's crazy awesome! I just have to keep reminding myself that though we face the valley of the shadow of death, we have nothing to fear, because our God is for us and nothing can ever stop it!

I love this new song my Chris Tomlin called "Faithful," the lyrics are so wonderful!

Faithful, forever You are faithful
Father to the fatherless
You uphold the one who feels forsaken
You are faithful, God

Faithful, forever You are faithful
Lover of the wounded heart
You defend the poor and the forgotten
You are faithful, God

And I will sing to the maker of Heaven and Earth
God, You reign forever and Your love will endure
Faithful and true is the name of the Lord
You are faithful, God

Faithful, forever You are faithful
Shelter for the fragile soul
You lift us up, You hold us all together
You are faithful, God

You are there in every season of my soul
You are there, You're the anchor that will hold
You are there, in the valley of the shadows
You are faithful, God

No comments:

Post a Comment