Sunday, May 16, 2010

Beginning Vacation

Day 1: Friday

Andrew and I started our vacation at about 12PM
on Friday! We had been spending most of the week trying to get the house picked up and packing for our trip since we had a dog sitter staying in our house to watch Zara for the week. We left for Cedar Rapids/Marion around 3:30PM and headed to the Irish Democrat (restaurant) to meet up with some friends from college! It was so great to see them and meet their little one for the first time (plus I got some pregnancy tips)! After eating, Andrew and I headed to Coffeesmiths (coffee shop) until it was time to head to our other friend's home for the night. I had a strawberry smoothie at the coffee shop (even though I was super full from dinner) and ended up getting sick. Sometimes when I cough too hard when I am full I end up getting sick and have to throw up (just one unfortunate side effect of being pregnant!).

Day 2: Saturday

Saturday was a VERY LONG day and was spent mostly in the car on the way to Asheville, NC-a total of 14 hours! We left Marion at 6:10AM (after having a wonderful breakfast with french toast, strawberries, kiwi, and sausage)! I drove for the first 2-3 hours and then started getting sleepy so I had to switch with Andrew (who ended up driving the rest of the day)! I slept most of the car ride until we started getting into the Smoky Mountains! I tried to get some pictures of the mountains but we ran into lots of storms along the way so I only got a few good pictures. The rain got so bad at times that we had to pull over to the side and wait till in lightened up before getting back on the road. Here are some pictures that I got:



We arrived in Asheville, NC at 8:45PM at the apartment where our other college friends live. We ate some really yummy brownies with strawberries, whip cream and ice cream and chatting away before finally heading to bed around 11! So, obviously it was a long day!

Day 3: Sunday

We headed to church with our friends this morning and came home to a very ymmy brunch (obvioulsy food is a big deal for me, as I am pretty much always hungry and food just tastes so darn good!). After eating we decided to head out to explore the town of Asheville! Asheville is so cool and has tons of little shops, art districts, downtown music, and great food! We explored the Folk Arts Center to see some art and even though Andrew and I found several items that we loved, we definitely don't have the money to buy anything. After that we headed to the Wayside Cafe (an old train depot) where I had a grilled cheese sandwich with white cheddar and cream cheese (rather interesting but it was good!). Then, we headed downtown to the Grove Arcade to walk around the shops. Andrew and I got a cute little book called "What To Do with the Boo-Hoo Baby." It was such a cute book that I couldn't resist getting it (I guess the motherly instinct is kicking in)! We also stocked up on some candy from the general store in town and heard some good musicians on the streets. After the long day (so far) I had to lay down and put up my swollen feet.

Tomorrow we head to Charleston, SC to the Isle of Palms! I can't wait!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're havin a good time. Are you going to try to do any hiking in the mountains? That would be really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we are now at the Ocean. Last time we were in Asheville we drove to the top of Mt. Mitchell (the highest peak east of the Mississippi). Next weekend when we got back to Asheville we plan to go to the Biltmore Estates, the largest single family dwelling in the U.S. (the Duggars visited there once, ha!).

    ReplyDelete