Sunday, September 19, 2010

Birth Plan

This weekend Andrew and I had our Child Birth Ed. class at the hospital. It was a very good class (taught by a Doula) and taught me lots of relaxation and breathing techniques that will be helpful for a natural labor (which is what I hope to do!). I think it also gave Andrew some insight on what to expect, since he doesn't do well when I am in pain or sick. The Doula also gave me homework: daily exercises (squats, kegels, butterfly stretches, and back arches), to practice my breathing and relaxation techniques daily, and to create a birth plan!

Some specific things I've put on my birth plan are: to not offer me pain medication, a list of people who are allowed in the room during labor/delivery, for the baby to be placed immediately on my chest for skin on skin after delivery, that Andrew has the choice to stand where he wants during delivery (since he's not sure he wants to watch or not), and items that I want available to me during labor and delivery.

If you have any suggestions for labor/delivery as far as what was helpful for you (either provided by the hospital or that you brought in yourself) please let me know! I've already told Andrew I want a birthing ball at home to sit on and to bring to the hospital with me! I'll take any suggestions you have!!!

3 comments:

  1. Tennis balls help if you need your back deep tissue massaged by Andrew during contractions. I brought a couple pillows from home since they never have enough and I brought my ipod to help me focus and relax. Really reiterate that you DO NOT want medication offered. They tried to come in and talk to me about things a couple different times and I finally had to pull out mean Stephanie to get them to stop!

    You'll do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tennis shoes for walking...walking...walking to get stuff going. not that i did natural birth - intentionally, anyway - but walking really helps stuff go a lot faster.

    maybe a swimsuit top or something you can wear in the tub if modesty might be an issue and you're thinking about using the tub at all during labor.

    and if you're not wanting to carry your birthing ball with you (one less thing to deal with) i'm pretty sure they have some on hand.

    just some thoughts.

    and i would LOVE to get together and chat penny-pinchin'. let me know when you're available - my schedule is flexible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never quite got to the birth plan...and when I actually was in labor my "no pain medication" thing went out the door (I even made Garrett promise to tell me no if I asked but he quickly gave in when my exact words were, "I NEED A FREAKING EPIDURAL"). Good thing that I never had time to get any! I also had a nurse hold up a mirror with Eden as motivation to push...it was kind of gross in a cool sort of way...not for everyone but it helped me get her out quick. I will be praying for a quick labor and a healthy baby!!!!

    ReplyDelete