Thursday, September 16, 2010

Doctor's Orders

At the doctor last week it was recommended that I no longer make my own laundry detergent and instead switch to Seventh Generation (if I'm looking for something natural-SO EXPENSIVE) or use All Free and Clear. It makes me angry since I've been making my own laundry detergent for a couple years now, but due to some irritating rashes/sensitive skin, my doctor said I should really switch to these brands. I told her my recipe:

Grated Soap
Washing Soda
Baking Soda
and a little bit of Oxy Clean

She specifically said any soaps that are scented and especially Oxy Clean are not good.
Any suggestions on how to change my homemade laundry detergent so that I can avoid these rashes, but also save money????

4 comments:

  1. There is a site...www.maggiespureland.com and they use soap nuts. The products last forever and I've had several friends do reviews and they love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was actually going to ask if you had heard of soapnuts but it looks like someone beat me to it! i have a bunch if you'd like to try some out before buying- but they are really a very frugal option if you're considering purchasing them (each little baggie of 3 lasts 5-10 washes)

    also, have you tried just switching the soap you use in your recipe to one you know doesn't irritate your skin? and...just plain ol' leaving out the oxy clean? or trying 'sun' brand oxogen bleach? that's what we use, but we don't tend to have sensitive skin.

    PLEASE let me know if you're interested in trying out soapnuts - i'd love to give you some. for reference, i order mine from naturoli, but i also know a girl who sells them locally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use Charlie's Soap - it is pretty cheap and it is cloth diaper recommended. It doesn't have something in it that normal detergents do but I can't remember what... We use this is almost everything.

    ReplyDelete