Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Lifetime of Learning

The past 3 weeks have been a lifetime of learning for Andrew and I. As our little boy is growing, we are learning how to take care of him and meet his needs. Nursing has been going well and I've even started pumping so that Andrew can take a middle of the night feeding. I LOVE that Andrew is able to help out because then I can manage 6 or more hours of sleep and I won't need much of a nap during the day when it's me all by myself. What I don't like about nursing-growth spurts! Josiah went through a growth spurt from Monday until Thursday and it was awful! He was nursing pretty much every hour to an hour and half. And in the evenings he would fuss constantly because he was so hungry. We would end up feeding him a 4 oz. bottle because he wasn't getting much out of me and I would pump extra to make up for it.

Thankfully, middle of the night feedings have been going well. We are starting to work on a bedtime routine but it's definitely been a struggle trying to get Josiah to sleep between 8 and 9 p.m. This is probably because he is sleeping too much in the evenings. We've definitely learned that he needs a full tummy before he goes to bed. Last night I nursed at 7, 8:15, and then again at 9:30 and it took until 11 p.m. to get him to fall asleep in his crib. I really don't enjoy these cluster feedings and would prefer to give him a bottle because he eats more and is more satisfied. The nice thing is that I find myself only having to get up 2-3 times a night (and when Andrew takes a feeding it really helps!) I know it will take a while to really get a bedtime routine established, it's just a struggle when I really want to spend my evenings relaxing with Andrew.

Later this week we have a friend coming to do some family pictures! I'm so excited! But for now, here are a few pictures I can offer.

Josiah laying so nicely on the couch...who knew that a couple seconds later he would spit up all over our microfiber, hard to clean couch. We have now learned to always place a blanket or burp cloth underneath him.

Josiah loves the swing (to an extent). The swing has been my lifesaver in the mornings so I can get a shower in!

Josiah right after his first bath! He didn't like it too much, BUT he did not pee all over like he has the last few times. Last time I put him down on the clean towel to dry him off and he peed all over himself. I didn't bother washing him again, who would want to risk more pee or shooting poo all over the place?

No comments:

Post a Comment