Friday, February 4, 2011

Favortie Fridays: Winter Memories

The Groundhog said spring is on it's way...so that means I only have a few more weeks of trying to be positive about this snowy and cold weather (hopefully!). I was happy to have one snow day this week where I snuggled inside with my baby boy, but now I am ready for WARMTH! So, before the cold ends and the warm weather rolls in I will share some favorite winter memories with you.

Wally's House:
I remember when I was a kid I would go over to my friend Wally's house (that was her nickname) and we would make a huge ice/snow ramp off of her deck. The only problem was that at the end of this ramp was the neighbors fence and there were many times that we would go flying down the ramp only to slide right into the side of the fence. It was awesome!

Car Hide and Seek:
Back in high school my friends and I would play a game called "Car Hide and Seek." In this game, we split up into 2 teams that would get into 2 different cars. One team would find a place in town to drive to and park while the other team received clues to help them find the hidden car. One winter my friend and I parked behind a big snow pile in an empty parking lot ( you know how big those snow piles can get!). Well, a police officer had pulled in, parked, and was watching us while we were sitting there. He didn't do anything until I decided to drive off and head home (since he scared me and I was thinking I was going to juvenile hall for the night). He pulled me over and I had to explain to the police officer how the game of "Car Hide and Seek" worked. Thankfully I didn't get in trouble, he just said we couldn't play that game anymore. To this day I have never played "Car Hide and Seek" again!

Snow Days!:
Who didn't like snow days when they were a kid? I remember getting up at 6 a.m. just to sit in front of the TV and watch the school closings scroll across the bottom of the screen. Our school was always one of the last to close, but when it did we sure had fun! I must admit that even though I now I have a very strong belief in spiritual warfare, when I was a kid I didn't believe in that, so please don't freak out when I say that one thing my brothers, sister and I loved to do was make "haunted houses" in the basement. We would take turns setting up "scary" adventures and putting our loving victims through a walk in the dark. One of my favorite scare tactics was having someone walk in the dark in absolute silence for a few minutes until I turned on the vacuum. It was the best!

Passion 2007:
For my Christmas break during my 2nd year at Wartburg, Andrew and I went to Passion Conference in Atlanta, Georgia with several over young adults. The trip to Atlanta was really miserable (I had the WORST sinus infection/cold and desperately needed antibiotics. Andrew was so frustrated that he couldn't do anything for me that he broke down with me and held me in his arms while I bawled because I felt so horrible). Even though I was so sick it was an incredible conference. I praised the Lord during some great worship sets (led by some of my favorite music artists-David Crowder, Chris Tomlin, Christy Knockels) and heard some great speakers-Louie Giglio and John Piper. I had hopes of going back to Passion before I got too old to go, but never made it. It was a trip that also brought Andrew and I closer together.

Since I can't seem to keep up with these "Favorite Friday" posts, this will the the last one for a while. I encourage you to do your own Favorite Friday next week!

2 comments:

  1. You should put up some newer pictures of Josiah. He's getting so big!

    ReplyDelete