Sunday, July 3, 2011

Healthy

For the first time in FOREVER our family is actually healthy! Praise God! For a week now Josiah has not had an ear infection, a cold, or any other physical ailments. He's also been sleeping better too. Andrew and I may still be a little sleepy, but we also have not been sick (although I did find out I was allergic to my antibiotics for my UTI which is why I was achy all over and I broke out in hives). For the 4th this weekend we are at my parents house and we hope to catch up on some much needed sleep as well as some much needed alone time.

I've been doing lot of thinking lately about being a mommy and how much life has changed. In only 4 short months Josiah will be a year old! I can't believe how fast time flies! I remember when he was born and how hard the transition was. He had colic and reflux and slept horribly. Along the way he also had reoccurring ear infections. And then there's me, the mommy, who had milk supply issues and a really hard time adjusting to the lack of sleep. But now, things finally seem to have smoothed out and now I can't imagine our life without Josiah! May I also say that I can't wait until Josiah is a year old? Lots of people say that they love this baby stage but I am so anxious for him to be eating table food and taking only one nap in the afternoon and to have him walking so I don't have to carry him around all the time and to be able to go out to eat at a restaurant and take him to parks to play outside and do other fun activities. Andrew and I have had the "baby number 2" discussion and decided that we would wait a few years but that it will probably happen. It wasn't long ago that I was saying that maybe one child was enough since Josiah was such a hard baby, but maybe I'll give number 2 a try.

Some great things that are happening in our life:
a) Josiah has started "creeping" everywhere, not quite crawling but moving like a worm. The only problem with this is that with his reflux he throws up everywhere, plays in it, and then worms his way through it. I was smart and got a vinyl table cloth to use as his play mat so that when he throws up I can just wipe it up quick and not worry about it soaking through onto our rug.
b) We've started usingthe words "no no" and "danger!" a lot. Now that Josiah is creeping around he gets into everything. We decided that if Josiah is ever getting into something that he's not supposed to, like TV stuff, tables, or breakable things (and yes we have baby proofed as much as possible) we would say "danger!" and redirect him to his toys. Andrew and I are also starting to talk about what kind of discipline we want to use with him. Sometimes a "word" isn't enough to really teach your child that getting into certain things are not safe and is not OK. I'm not a supporter of spanking (especially at his young age) and I know of people who use little flicks on the wrist but I'm just not sure what age is appropriate to start that. At his age now the only thing that really seems appropriate is to redirect him. Any thoughts on that or what works for you?
c) Josiah's 2 front teeth are almost through and I am trying to work on some chunkier (is that even a word?) food with him. So far the only thing I've tried is mashing up a banana until it's chunky and spoon feeding him. I've thought about trying chunks of pears, peas, and carrots.
d) We have made a decision as far as whether or not to keep working full time where I am at or to clean houses part time and stay home. This fall I will be staying home part time and cleaning houses on the side. It's the best decision for our family and I'm so excited to be home more with Josiah, and to also know that he's in good hands when I am working. Now I just have the task of finding families to clean for!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for getting to stay home with Josiah in the fall!!!

    Once our kids started getting into stuff (once they were crawling), we started flicking their hands and saying no touch and redirecting. Or something that has worked for certain things/situations is to push their hand away and say no touch (adding the touch or kick or eat to it helps them make the connection between the no and what they are doing) and just keep doing it until they realize they aren't going to actually do what they are trying to do. We use a combination of both with Cooper and it seems to work.

    ReplyDelete