Friday, August 19, 2011

My Thursday Thought: The Power of Prayer

My husband and I have been part of a small group at our church for 2 1/2 years now. We have learned so much from this community that I thought I would share some of the things God has been teaching us lately about THE POWER OR PRAYER.

I started praying when I came to Christ as a child and was deeply involved in my church. But prayer wasn't something that I saw as a tool to use all the time but more in times of distress or when we needed to say a blessing before we ate. Most of my prayers were short, sweet, to the point, and sometimes there were even moments of pleading with God telling him what I wanted or else who knows what I might do. But now, my idea of prayer has really changed. In our small group we've been practicing the following:

1. Taking time to sit in silence and wait on God and listen to what he is telling us to pray for.
2. Share with one another what we think God is saying to us.
3. Be bold in not only asking for prayer but praying for others in our group.
4. Laying hands on one another when praying.
5. Praying in command for healing and against Satan.

This was all very new to me when I joined the Vineyard church but I have seen some amazing things happen when people really take the time to pray with the help of the Holy Spirit. I've witnessed healing, seen spiritual freedom, and even felt the presence of the Holy Spirit upon me.

The other day I was shopping around Barnes and Noble and decided to pick up the book The Power of a Praying Wife. I'm not too far into it, but I was in need of a good devotional and since I've seen the power of prayer at work in our small group I thought "why not give praying for my family a try and see what happens." I can already see God showing up and encouraging not only my husband but also ME! Andrew and I spent some time praying for our family the other night as a couple and a lot of burdens were lifted off of both of our shoulders. For the first time in a while we actually felt like we agreed on some things....like how to handle some of our financial difficulties, how we both were really struggling with some of the sacrifices we have to make as parents, and how neither of us had been communicating well. I am so thankful to have a husband that is growing and learning with me, especially when we are facing some struggles as parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment