Thursday, February 9, 2012

Being A Homemaker

Lately I have felt like I'm not living up to the standard of a true "Homemaker." Although I am only home part-time and I work two other jobs, my role as a wife and mother is to manage our home life. I also feel that if I am asking God to allow me to stay home full time, I need to show him that I am capable of keeping up with the important tasks of managing our home.

First of all, I have been convicted to pray for our family more and really spend time in the Word daily. I have noticed that when I wake up and spend time reading my Bible that my days go smoother, I am more calm, more thankful, and I get so much more accomplished both in my work around the house and my jobs. I am also more patient with Bubby and actually enjoy spending time with him! Other days, I find myself depressed, not motivated, and quite frankly no fun to be around. I hope to grow more in my faithfulness and trust for God by trying to be obedient to him daily.

Next, I have come up with a schedule to help me stay on top necessary tasks to keep up with our home. Here is what I have made:

Daily Tasks:
-Washing all dishes
-Washing and folding at least 1 load of laundry if there is a load to do
-Making the bed
-Picking up toys and clutter before bed
-Sorting mail and paying any bills
-Taking out any full trash
-Walking the dog

All of these are quite necessary because if they don't get done the first day, then they pile up for the second day and if the hamster wheel keeps rolling then I find myself spending an entire day doing dishes, folding laundry, sorting mail, getting behind on bills, and the house is a complete wreck. I no longer want to spend entire days doing these tasks, so if I have them written down then I can help maintain our home.

I also have a weekly house cleaning schedule:
-Mondays-Wash windows/mirrors, clean end tables in the living room and electronics (TV's/Computers)
-Tuesdays-Clean Kitchen, clean out refrigerator
-Wednesdays-Dusting
-Thursdays-Vacuuming and mopping floors
-Friday-Clean Bathroom
-Saturday-Launder cleaning cloths
-Sunday-Launder Bubby's clothes

I have a specific day for Bubby's laundry because it usually takes a full week to fill his hamper and that way I always know when to do his laundry. I feel really good about this! Since I clean houses 2-3 days a week the last thing I want is to come home and have to spend all of my free time cleaning MY house. I left the easier tasks for M-W because those are the days I usually clean other homes, which will make it easier for me to stay on top of my own cleaning time.

Lastly, I want to try and do more things with Bubby. I want to sit and read with him, build towers, chase him around, tickle him, and take him out to do fun things. I've made the choice to put my laptop in my bedroom and only use it during nap times. That way I am actually out spending time with him instead of being on my computer. I also try to only watch TV during his nap times, unless we are watching a show together. This is a challenge for me but definitely necessary.

What do you do to stay on top of your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment