Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ear Infection

Josiah had his first ear infection this week. He had a little cough at the start of last week and when Wednesday rolled around he started getting a fever and I thought it would be a good idea to get him into the doctor to figure out what was really going on. I was really concerned that he would have RSV, bronchitis or pneumonia since many kids at daycare were coming down with that. Thankfully his lungs sounded clear, despite his rattling coughing, and the doctor only found an ear infection. Poor little guy was running a high temp, soaring at 102.4 when we arrived at the doctor on Thursday.

I'm not a huge fan of antibiotics and I've heard that they really aren't that effective with ear infections (and that in fact ear infections can clear up on their own). In the future I will remember to consult my chiropractor first and take his suggestions before rushing Josiah to the doctor. However, I am proud that I've managed to keep him happy and his fever down with only a few doses of Tylenol (something that I am also not a fan of). I myself rarely take Tylenol, but since Josiah had such a high fever I thought it best to keep him comfortable with a small dose.

Andrew took a day off from work Friday to stay home with Josiah so I could go to work for Staff Appreciation Day. He got a full day with Josiah all to himself (or should I say "sick" Josiah) which means Andrew spent the entire day rocking, cuddling, and probably never putting him down. I remember calling Andrew on one of my breaks and Andrew was all worked up because Josiah was so fussy and there was nothing he could do to calm him down. I made sure to tell him that now he knows how I feel some days, but also reassured him that he's doing a good job!

The first night after Josiah started his antibiotics he slept so well. I remember waking up at 3 a.m. and going in to check on him because he hadn't stirred once since going to bed at 7:30. Since then, he really hasn't been sleeping well and we are now having to go back to our sleep training methods of crying it out every few minutes. Hopefully he'll get the idea soon, I can't take another night of being up for 3 hours with a fussy boy!

Along with ear infection problems, I've also been having lots of issues with my milk supply. I just can't seem to pump more than 4 ounces at a time, and I'm in need of 6-8 ounces for his bottles and cereal. I tried taking Fenugreek again (it worked the first time I needed to up my supply) but it didn't work this round. And even though I keep pumping every 3-4 hours (even at night) I still can't seem to pump enough. So I resorted to having Josiah drink formula for one day so I could pump enough to make a few bottles for day care. Hopefully that will be enough to help me stay ahead of Josiah so that he can continue to get my milk every day!

1 comment:

  1. bummer on the ear infection - NO FUN.

    and don't feel bad about giving him antibiotics and tylenol. you do what you gotta do to get him and yourself through it, that's what i say. :)

    ReplyDelete