Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I'm Blue

Yesterday at MOPS we had a speaker who talked about personality colors. We took a test and figured out what our color was. The color results were:

1. Orange-Risk Taker
2. Blue-Nurturer
3. Green-Problem Solver
4. Gold-Organizer

I was a Blue-Nurturer. And you know what? It totally makes sense. The main description of a "Blue" personality is "people pleaser" and I am definitely a people pleaser. I am ALWAYS worried about what people think of me and how I am treating people. I do not like conflict and it's very hard for me to tell someone how I really feel (which usually brings me to tears because I'm so worried about what they'll think of me). The other day I was drawn for a raffle prize and didn't even go up to redeem it because I felt bad that other people didn't get drawn. How weird is that??? They ended up bringing it to me in the audience.

I am also the type of person to constantly obsess over what other people think of me. The Enemy likes to get me to this point so that I retreat into my hole and avoid having any community. Realizing this, I try my best to command the Enemy to leave, focus on God and spend some time in community.

At MOPS we also discussed what "colors" our kids were so we could recognize and respond appropriately when disciplining. For instance, an "orange" child loves attention, so disciplining them in public makes the thrive, however a child who is "blue" would feel humiliated if they got in trouble in front of others because they wouldn't be making everyone happy. It's nice to realize this early before Bubby gets older so I can pay attention to his behavior and respond correctly. However, I also need to remember that every child is different and no discipline model is best for everyone. Hubby and I have decided that as Bubby gets older we will really try to be consistent, because consistency is the best thing you can do when disciplining. Right now we are doing a lot of redirecting, and whenever Bubby touches something he absolutely can not touch; like a fan, cords, blinds, etc, we say "danger!" Obviously since Bubby's just about a year old that's all we can do, but as he gets older I will definitely think about his personality and how discipline will affect him. Right now I can see some "nurturing" personality in Bubby. He likes to cuddle and hug, especially when he's upset.

As I sit here typing up this blog post Bubby is opening his dresser drawer, pulling out all of his clothes and throwing them on the floor, replacing his folded clothes with kleenex's that he pulled out of the box, pulling down the curtains, and taking books that he's not supposed to touch off of the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment