Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Series On Apartment Living

Welcome to our bathroom!

Our bathrooms is very much updated compared to what it was before we moved in. The mirror on the wall used to be about a foot to the right (not even above the sink), the drywall was falling off, there was no shower-just a floor with a hose coming out the wall and plastic to create a shower, and the floor...I don't even remember what the floor was. So before we moved in our landlords put up some new drywall, painted, moved the mirror OVER the sink, put in a new shower, and new linoleum. Personally, I like this bathroom better than our previous home.

What I like about this bathroom:

1. Lots of light!

2. Mostly updated and fresh feeling

3. Easy to clean (with no tub, little counter space and a small amount of space it doesn't take long)

What I don't like about this bathroom:

1. No bath tub. I really enjoy baths! Growing up I would take a bath every night and then shower every morning. Not having a bath tub is really a downer for me. It also makes giving Bubby a bath somewhat difficult. Instead we have to set him in the bottom of the shower and spray him with the shower hose. We asked our landlords to put in a shower hose specifically for this purpose. Bubby doesn't seem to mind as long as we keep the water on him so he doesn't get cold.

2. Little storage space. As in any small apartment with a child, you really are limited on storage space. Literally the only closet in our apartment is our bedroom closet (which you will see how bad it is when that room comes) so here's my solution: dresser in the hallway full of towels and washcloths, hair supplies under the sink, toothbrushes/toothpaste and daily meds in cabinet above the sink, make-up and extra items on shelf next the sink, and baskets of brushes and more hair supplies on the shelving over toilet. I also have rods hanging on the doors for our towels. It makes for a not so nice looking bathroom, but it works!

3. Size. I dream of having a bathroom with tiled floor, a walk in shower with glass doors, a jacuzzi tub as well as 2 sinks and plenty of storage space. I'll be honest...I don't know when that day will come, so for now I'll just have to deal.

4. Old Door. The bathroom door does not lock. So when you come to my house: Door open=free for all! Door closed=do not enter! note: Bubby likes to sneak in the bathroom to unroll the toilet paper, flush the toilet, and pull my feminine products out of the cupboard to throw all over the place.

5. The only outlet is the one that is attached to the light fixture above the mirror.

6. The shower door doesn't always close all the way which means if I don't pull really hard so that it latches I get water dripping onto the floor.

In my opinion, this bathroom works. It has all the essentials and I'm VERY happy that I don't have a "hole in the wall" shower like it was before.

Just a few fun facts about our bathroom:
1. When you come over put down the toilet seat before you flush. I learned on Dr. Oz that feces go flying everywhere when you flush with the lid up! Seriously!
2. Bubby will gladly come and unroll your toilet paper for you, or flush the toilet. Just please wash his hands afterward. Again...I don't need feces anywhere, especially on my child!
3. Don't be fooled by the Bath and Body Works Foam Soap Bottle, I make my own soap and use the recycled foam bottles.
4. There is some room spray on the shelf above the toilet.
5. The seashells in the basket and picture on the shelf are from our first trip to the ocean at Myrtle Beach, NC.
6. The drawing above the mirror is hand drawn by my Hubby, and the wooden turtle is from our trip the Isle of Palms in South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment