Friday, November 18, 2011

Vitamin D

I went to the chiropractor a couple weeks ago and picked up an article about how Vitamin D can combat colds and the flu. Before giving any extra Vitamin D, I made sure to do some extra research on Vitamin D and how it is good for the immune system. Let me just say that I was very impressed with what I found. Here's one site and an article from the site to start with:

Dr. Joseph Mercola
Vitamin D and the Flu

In my opinion Dr. Mercola is a great researcher, plus he's an O.D. which means when he sees patients he's treating the "whole person" not just the problem (I've thought about finding an O.D. for our family). I read some of the articles about Vitamin D and was shocked to hear that Vitamin D deficiency is one cause of a ton of health issues-Cancer, Hypertension, Pre-eclampsia, Diabetes, Colds, Flu, and on the site you can check out all sorts of other diseases. And for all of you pregnant women out there check out this article I read about Vitamin D and pregnancy. When I was pregnant I had high blood pressure and had pre-term labor 5 1/2 weeks early. Now I know how I can prevent those issues during my next pregnancy.

Vitamin D and Pregnancy

I never realized how important Vitamin D is, and if you've ever checked me out then you know that I'm a pretty pale person. So, being that it's Cold and Flu season I decided it was best to up our dosage. According to the site you need 35 IU's of Vitamin D per pound of body weight in order for it to even be effective, so why is the AAP recommending only 4o0 IU for children? Who knows!? Bubby now takes a daily dose of 1,000 IU and Hubby and I take 5,000 IU. And if we find that we do get sick then we can up our IU dosage for a day or two to help combat our illness. This is an experiment I am willing to try for the winter (along with proper hand washing and staying away from others who are sickly). Being that we are no longer in the day care center like we were last winter will probably help a lot, but since I clean houses and touch all sorts of germs every day it's good that we protect ourselves so I don't bring anything home and expose my family to anything.

Also, now that Bubby is a year old we tried introducing him to whole milk (also for some extra Vitamin D) but after giving him some Whole Milk with his formula this past week he has drank significantly less milk. I'm guessing this is why he's super fussy and refusing to drink anything that's not water or formula. I think that he either doesn't like Whole Milk or it is giving him a tummy ache. So we are going to stick with the formula and also try giving him Almond Milk instead. I've been wanting to make my own Almond Milk for a while now! *On top of all the milk issues we've been having a hard time breaking the bottle. He will sit and drink 6oz. of formula from a bottle but barely touch a sippy cup full of the same formula! Luckily we don't really have to wean him completely until he's 15 months so I've got some time to figure things out.

I've also just started using Norwex in our home (and I just joined the Norwex team as a Sales Consultant!) which will help to actually pick up the germs and put them down the drain where they belong!! I love how Norwex can kill 99.94% of germs without using any chemicals, which means no more residues in our home!!!

1 comment:

  1. what is important this post . good job and fantastic info share in the post. nice idea
    Indian Fashion

    ReplyDelete